Friday, February 25, 2011

Teaching

This has been a fabulous week! I feel so blessed to be at my university. God orchestrated this week.... I feel like I've been able to make some good connections, personally, academically and professionally.

Around the middle of the week, a well known speaker on education and education reform gave a talk at the university. I was very impressed by what was said and took 5 pages of notes. I'm like my mom in that... It was awesome to hear a counter argument to what is being touted in the media as the latest and greatest reform: Race to the Top. There are points that I definitely want to know more about, but overall it was an inspiring message. Now we just need to do something about it.

The cool part was sitting with a new group of people and getting to know others in my major. I was four seats down from my physics professor so I finally got to nail him on the most missed questions from last semesters final. :) We then chatted about his class, the teaching tests and his teaching style. Such a worthwhile class and a great teacher! So many professors were there; it was fun to see them outside of class!

I caught up with Dr. W. to make sure that he had me down for some homework and we got to chat about the talk briefly. It dovetailed so nicely with what we had learned in class. It's wonderful when the pieces start to fall together and the picture becomes clearer.

Today, I had my first classroom volunteering spot of the semester. I almost canceled since my neighbors partied until 2 am, and I wasn't sure I was going to be useful as I was so tired this morning. I'm so glad I went though.

I'm working with 2nd graders. So cute! It's been interesting to see the difference between 2nd and 4th grade. I love the teacher. I like her style and her classroom. This is what I thought teaching would be like. As I was signing out, the principal stopped and said hi. She recognized me from Dr. W's class. When she heard that I was looking forward to her next visit to our class, she asked if I had time to ask her my questions now. I was able to ask my questions regarding scripted curriculum, expectations, her role as principal and the teacher removal process. A long term sub who had taught on the school's role in the community for my Learning and Teaching class stopped in and I was able to get his perspective on some of the issues.

What I really walked away with was: if I'm going to be a teacher, I'd better be positive that that's the right path for me and be ready to stick with it.

I know I'll be a good teacher. I'm just not sure I'll be able to handle the bureaucracy and politics that comes with it.

That's why I'm here.

No comments: