Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!

 "I only talk to my dad while I'm waiting for my mom to come to the phone." - Overheard

Whew!  I am so glad that isn't true for me.  I love talking to my dad.  He's funny, kind, insightful, and he keeps secrets.  When I need advice but I don't want mom to freak out, I call my dad.  When I have a funny story or want to talk about church stuff, I call my dad.  Sunday afternoons, we tally burnt out light bulbs in the sanctuary, clogged toilets, and anomalies like marshmallows being ground into the carpet. We joke about playing light bulb catch from back when it took a suction cup on the end of a long rod to unscrew a light bulb.  (The suction would give out once the bulb unscrewed and the goal was to keep the bulb from breaking before throwing it away.)

He coached my t-ball team, was a 4-H leader, driver, and did beekeeping with me (with a severe allergy to bees).  He drove a group of four girls five hours for a meeting and waited for five hours to drive us home.  He helped me coordinate a plant contest.  He built our playground.  He's cleaned barns and was ranch manager for our 4-H club.  He got involved in the local rifle range because his kids were interested in shooting.  He loves Pride and Prejudice (the six hour version) and Chuck Norris films. 

He taught me how to draw house plans, about architecture and painting, to drive a manual transmission, basic home repair, and basic car maintenance, and he tried to teach me geometry.


He's been my walk partner for years.  On Saturdays, we wander pretty neighborhoods, admire and critique the homes, and talk about life.  We rode bikes together for a few years.  He took me to the airport to watch the planes land.  I learned how to ride the bus that day, about friction and heat and why smoke comes from the wheels when the plane lands. 


He taught me how to swim with mom.  He coached me on my strokes since he was on the swim team.. 

He's also the dad that sent me to camp with a flashlight that would go dim and die with fresh batteries.  He sent us off camping without tent poles. TWICE! 


He's a dad that loves his kids!  He's supported us, given us boundaries, helped us grow, and celebrated with us.  We love our dad! 

Dads' don't always have positive connotations.  In the last few years, some dear people have lost their dads.  Others are in a difficult place with their dad.  This makes my time with my dad so much more precious.  I am so incredibly blessed to have a dad like mine.  I love you, Dad!


No comments: