Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hair Story

Ducking under tree branches, my hair was adorned with bits and pieces of plant material.  It had been a delightful day working on a building project, but I needed to check for ticks before heading back to the university.  My mom pulled out a hairbrush.  A hairbrush!

I haven't used a hairbrush in years.

Curls just don't respond well to "The Brush."   Since I couldn't come up with an alternative so I wouldn't go home with a new "friend,"  I submitted to the brush. 

My brother saw me afterwards and declared that I looked like Hermione (from the early Harry Potter films) and the Princess Diaries' Princess Mia (before the makeover).   Flattery will get you everywhere... 
Personally, I was going to say I looked like the female triangle hair Dilbert cartoon character.

The whole incident made me think back to my childhood... the good years with de-tangler, the bad years of the hair dryer and funky bangs and the years of braids and buns in an attempt to keep the friz down.  Dad blowing drying my hair upside down after bath time when I was six.  I think my hair was horizontal until Mom came in to fix it.  And then, I discovered conditioner.  The most vital thing for a curly girl: conditioner.  The brush became a fixture in the back of the drawer.  The hairdryer was left behind.  My hair slowly morphed into something manageable.  I even liked it.  And now, I love it.  

Stay back brushes and hairdryers, this head is all natural and naturally curly.

No comments: