Wednesday, September 1, 2010

School Story: Part One



So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
- Colossians 2:6-7

(School Landscaping)

When I arrived at school, the first week was chaotic and overwhelming. I had expected mounds of homework but when it started coming... I was ready to run. I was fine and enjoying the experience up until the middle of my third class that first day.

I had visited enough that the school felt comfortable; I had navigated the shuttle system, and I had previewed most of the class assignments online. In the middle of that third class, I was ready to drop a class and run for the hills. Nothing was harder but I had started worrying about all sorts of extra issues. I hate worrying. It doesn't help and it just makes life harder.


The verse from Colossians reminded me of what my focus should be on. The Lord led me to this school. If it had gone my way, I would have been done 3 years ago, attending the big state school near my house and living at home. I also would have gone through a program of study that wasn't appealing and had to fight to get into overcrowded classes.

Instead, I found out that my position was ending at church in the end of February. I had a applied to this school an hour away from home (an hour and half away from church). School plans had fallen apart so many times before that I really didn't think that I was going or if I did go that nothing at home would have to change. I could keep working and living at home and commute. I went to visit the school for the first time on a Monday, a less than a week after I found out that I wouldn't have a job in a few months. I started to get excited, the school was more than I had hoped with small classes, service learning and a rigorous senior project. I had been excited about the school when I applied but that had faded, I wasn't sure what God really wanted at this point.

(Campus artwork by students)

When I got home from the visit, there was the acceptance e-mail from the school! It had arrived before I even left for the visit.

No comments: