Friday, September 10, 2010

Reading... I mean listening



Starting when I was young, every summer was filled with swimming, gardening, family and books! The summer library programs started and I would be on a race to see how fast I could reach the highest goal.

Mom would always check to make sure I was reading appropriate material but by the time I hit Jr. High age, I was pretty self regulating. This was in the middle of my long skirts, of course I'm a conservative homeschooler "how could you tell?" phase.

In college (2004-now), while most students took a break during summer, I would make a list of things I wanted know more about or would make me more "well rounded" and check out stacks of books from the library. And in July, I would wish that there was an adult summer reading program to motivate me to finish!



I read Shakespeare, history books, cookbooks, architecture, math and science books. No, I didn't become an expert on anything but I have fun watching Jeopardy!

This summer, my reading was different. Since I drove quite a bit for work, I borrowed some audio books. I "read" the Fellowship of the Ring (for the first time). I know... what kind of person am I? Don't worry, I haven't seen any of the movies yet either. The experience was more enjoyable because I was listening because I listened to the parts that I would normally skim over (songs and poetry) which definitely added to my understanding as the story progressed.

I also slipped in some Jeeves and Wooster short stories by P.G. Wodehouse. Once again, so much better when listened to! I had read some stories before but so much of the subtle humor was lost. Are you getting the feeling I tend to read fast and skim over? ;)

Of course, I did read actual books.



The Insectopedia by Hugh Raffles seemed fitting considering that I was looking for insects all summer. It has an essay for each letter of the alphabet. Each essay is insect related but often touches on a more social commentary outlook. The first essay made me laugh out loud as it described a sticky trap attached to plane (researchers were trying to track how insects migrated). I'm picturing the yellow sticky traps we used in trees dangling from a plane. Other essays included the language of bees, Chernobyl (insect deformities as seen by an artist) and the culture of cricket fighting. It was fascinating and I was disappointed when I couldn't renew it any more.

So what do you read? Fiction, Non-fiction? What subjects interest you and do you have any recommendations?

No comments: