Friday, November 11, 2011

Nerdyness

I went for a hike today.   And not just any hike, a hike with some plant nerds like me.   Ones that initiated the plant talk and had a game going looking for fungi.  So much fun!  I've missed that type of thing.  My family gets that I'm plant nerd.  My mom's a plant nerd.  We like to be plant nerds together.  But being a plant nerd with peers... a little harder to come by.  When I was taking environmental studies classes, no one else really got excited about plant id, drawing plants, or finding out more about the plants.  I was "weird' even in that context. 

During high school and my first year of college, I was involved with a plant group.  We were all plant nerds.  We did plant nerdy things together like getting excited about new plants, arboretums, and plant identification.  It was fun having friends interested in the same thing.  It's times like this I wonder about my major. 

The same type of situation comes with period dramas.  In high school and early in college, we had a group of girls that appreciated period dramas like A&E's Pride and Prejudice, Wives and Daughters, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility.  Tonight, my sister and I were discussing how we miss meeting people who appreciate period drama.  She just met up with a group who are interested in period dramas.  Kindred spirits are in short supply here in this area. Or I need to look a little harder for them.  :) 


No comments: